Tanning is the treatment of the skin to obtain a pale shade of the color brown. Having a tan skin is a mark of beauty in the Western culture, adding a warm glow and covering every form of blemishes. It is also sex appealing.
Though tanning is not always good for health because of the high risk of skin cancer it poses due to exposure to ultraviolet rays, there are different options that can be followed to achieve a fast tan which are sometimes healthy e.g. exposure to the sun for some hours which helps in the production of vitamin D.
What makes you tan faster in the sun?
Tanning is mostly as a result of exposing the skin to ultraviolet rays either from the sun or from other sources. The exposure time frame determines the tanning effect on the skin. Melanogenesis is the process whereby melanin, a pigment in the skin, is produced after exposure to UV rays, which causes the skin to tan, which can be obviously seen.
Moderate exposure to the sun leads to the production of vitamin D and melanin by the body. Melanin is a good and effective absorber of light. It can dissolute approximately all the absorbed UV rays. This protects the skin from UVB radiation damage.
How to get a tan faster
The best natural way to tan faster is to expose the skin to the sun among several options. The following steps can be followed:
- Always keep your skin hydrated. A skin that is well-hydrated will tan faster and better than a dry skin. Remove dead and dry epidermal cells while taking a shower by gently scrubbing your skin with an exfoliating soap. Then moisturize the skin with a lotion containing sodium salt of pyrrolidone carbonic acid (sodium PCA).
- Make use of a sunscreen when you are tanning because of the harmful effect of UVB and UVA rays. To achieve a perfect tan, apply a sunscreen with sun protection factor (SPF).
- After tanning, moisturize your skin. This will help in keeping the skin healthy and dry after exposure to sunlight. An aloe skin cream can be effective in moisturizing and soothing the skin. It seems better to tan a softer skin. Therefore, keep your body moisturized at night in preparation for sunbathing the following morning.
- Make sure you remove dead cells from the skin regularly to avoid their build up and to inhibit them from blocking the rays. This should be done gently to avoid removing all the color of the skin. You can make use of a natural scrub or other options like granulated sugar with honey or ground oatmeal with a little salt.
- To get a perfect tan, allow all the body parts to be exposed to the sun. Put your arms up when tanning the front; your arms out when turning on the stomach. Hidden body parts are easier to be exposed to the sun with this method. Position yourself in a way to get the sunshine directly and flip your body over frequently. Reapply the natural oil or any other tanning lotion every two hours or after exposure to the sun.
- An important step to pay attention to when tanning is not to take a bath before you tan. This is to avoid washing away of the natural oils of the body which helps in tanning. Taking of bath is only applicable in sunless tanning.
- In case the weather is not allowing proper exposure to the sunshine, a tanning bed can be an alternative but must be done in moderation to avoid adverse effects.
- To avoid an uneven tan, you should put on a swimsuit. Using the same swimsuit can give you a smooth flow from your skin to the bathing suit.
- Locate a good place in the sun to achieve an effective tanning e.g. your backyard. Another place of good use is the beach. All that matter is anywhere you chose should have the sunshine.
- Items needed are water, tanning lotion, a towel and a beach chair.
- Another way to achieve an effective tanning naturally is the use of natural oils. Natural oil has an affinity to attract sunshine. It can also help to provide a healthy tan. Just apply the oil before you tan and rinse it off with soap and water after tanning is completed. Examples of effective natural oils that can be applied are coconut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil, hazelnut oil, wheat-germ oil, green tea oil and sesame oil.
- Do everything possible to avoid sunburn. Exposing the body to the sun for hours is dangerous to the skin. Excessive exposure can cause certain tan parts to peel off, causing an uneven tan. There is also a high risk of skin cancer attached. The exposure time frame to sunshine shouldn’t exceed two hours at a time.
- When tanning, avoid the use of wear perfume, makeup, and deodorant. These products are made up of several ingredients which cause skin sensitivity. Their use can cause burn or other forms of skin reactions.
- You can also achieve a tan with cocoa powder and unscented white lotion. The combination of both can produce an effective tan and it is a simple way to get tan fast. Mix these two ingredients together and use all over your body uniformly. This should be repeated every day until a deep tan is achieved. It is also advisable to apply a mild moisturizer for better effects.
- Another combination of better effect is the unscented white lotion with coffee or tea. These help in staining the skin which results in a perfect tan. If coffee or tea is not available, use drinks that have caffeine because of its firming and tightening effect on the skin which smoothen wrinkles.
- You can also make use of coffee and olive oil to tan. Olive oil is natural tanning oil while the dark color of the coffee will assist in achieving a natural tan.
- Chocolate and tea can also be used for tanning. Blend the two together until a smooth mixture is achieved. Applying the mixture on the body uniformly.
- Melanin can be produced when the bright light on the optic nerve stimulates the hypothalamus. Care must, therefore, be taken because the eyes can get burnt. Protect the eyes by wearing hat or keeping the eyes closed while lying under the sun.